Monday, May 23, 2016

Booger's Monday NASCAR Fantasy Update: The Coca-Cola 600 (Charlotte Spring Race) Edition





Coca-Cola 600
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Concord, North Carolina | May 29, 2016
6:00 PM EST | LIVE ON FOX


I'm not even going to recap the All-Star race, I don't think any fan or even NASCAR knew what was going on. Tony Stewart said it best, "Its the most screwed up All-Star race I have ever been apart of, I'm glad this is last one. Yeah I'm alright except I'm just madder then hell, cause I don't understand how and the hell they have officiated this whole thing from start to finish." Classic Tony, I like to see that fire. Now in NASCAR's offense, I think there were things that happened that they weren't prepared for. For instance the mandatory Green Flag pit stop that Matt Kenseth didn't do, which trapped a lot of the cars that DID pit a lap down after NASCAR penalized Matt 1 lap for not meeting the rules. I do know one thing, the Sprint Showdown sure was exciting, Trevor Bayne, Greg Biffle and Kyle Larson all raced their way into the big show while Chase Elliot and Danica Patrick got voted in by the fans. NOW, on to the last leg of the 10 Days of Thunder Tour in Charlotte, Coke 600 weekend. This race is all about survival, the longest race of the year for drivers, teams and their cars. You need to bring one badass piece to this deal. Horse racing has its Triple Crown, this race in the 2nd leg of the Triple Crown of NASCAR. Think Denny Hamlin can get his 2nd big NASCAR win of the season? or will Joey Logano make it 2for2 in the #22? We shall find out in my picks for the Coca-Cola 600 on Memorial Day Weekend!



Group A-

Joey Logano

Can Joey become the 7th driver in the history of NASCAR to sweep both the All-Star and 600 weekend? Can Team Penske sweep the day with a victory earlier in the Indianapolis 500? The way that 22 car looked in the final 13 laps I would bet on it. Logano hasn't finished worse then 23rd in his 7 attempts at the 600. He averages a 9.57 average finish, with 1 win coming last fall where he led 227 laps and cruised to victory. He's my pick to become the 7th All-Star and Coca-Cola 600 winner (in the same season)!

Denny Hamlin

The Triple Crown in NASCAR consists of these 3 big races. First, the Daytona 500 (Super Bowl of NASCAR), the Coca-Cola 600 (Endurance Race), and the Southern 500 (The Grand daddy of them all.) Can Denny Hamlin win this weekend to make it one step closer to the Triple Crown of NASCAR? Hamlin finished 8th in last years 600 and led 53 laps. He also ran well in the fall race in 2015 and finished 4th. He has the 3rd best average finish at Charlotte amongst active drivers.

WE2W4- Jimmie Johnson, Brad Keselowski, Matt Kenseth, Kevin Harvick and Kyle Busch

Group B-

Carl Edwards

Defending Coke 600 winner, and finished 6th there in the Fall. FUN FACT: Edwards was a substitute teacher before becoming a NASCAR driver. He has a 10.55 Avg. Finish in 22 races, 1 win, 7 Top5s and 15 top10s at Charlotte. In his last 4 starts in the 600, he has posted a 1st, 4th, 11th, and 9th place finish. Look for him to continue is consistency this Sunday night.

Kasey Kahne

Kahne is on that list that Joey Logano is looking to join of All-Star and 600 winners in the same season. Kahne accomplished that in the 2008 season, he has won the 600 twice in his career (2008, and 2012). His season has finally started to improve from the horrendous start. Look for Kasey to continue his good streak here at Charlotte where he holds 4 total wins, a 12.79 AVG Finish and has led more then 1,100 laps.

Jamie McMurray

McMurray first career win in the Sprint Cup Series (The Winston Cup then) came in the fall race of 2002, when he was subbing in for an injured Sterling Marlin. He again won the fall race back in that magical season of 2010 where he won the Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400. In his last four Coke 600s his best finish was a 5th in 2014. He hasn't had much success in the 600, but I'm having one of those feelings he's going to get a good finish this weekend.

Kyle Larson

Like I say with STICK WITH THE BIFF. I'm sticking with Kyle Larson this weekend, he ran well in the Sprint Showdown on Saturday and was up there battling for the All-Star win in the final segment. This kids day is coming and why not be on the receiving end of that day. Look for Kyle and the Target Chevy to build off the last couple weeks of success this weekend.

WE2W4- Austin Dillon, Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, and Greg Biffle

Group C-

Chase Elliot

So this week I'm going to do something different. I have 6 starts remaining with Elliot, and 5 remaining with Blaney. I'm picking Elliot this weekend to even my starts up with Blaney and keep those two rookies in my back pocket for the end of the season. I like Elliot a little better because he was up front the whole Sprint Showdown and I believe would've challenged for the win in the All-Star race if it wasn't for the repairs they had to make after the contact with Larson in the Showdown.

Brian Scott

So this is by far the biggest risk I'm taking, I probably won't start Scott this weekend. But, in order to keep Blaney and Elliot in my hip pocket I need to go to guys like Scott and Cassill. Scott ran well here in the Xfinity Series, where he average a 15th place finish in his 12 races. He hasn't ran a 600 since 2014 and the fords looked really good last weekend. Maybe this isn't that big of a risk.




BOOGERS BONUS PICK:


INDIANAPOLIS 500 - Juan Pablo Montoya




There we have it, another week in the books. I would like to end this weeks blog by Thanking all of those brave men and woman who have or are serving in the military, also to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their lives for the greatest country in this world. Also to my Grandpa, US Army CPL Rueben A Boger. I have missed you everyday and love you. Keep on resting in peace with Grandma and help bringing me some luck this weekend.

GOD SPEED AND GOD BLESS AMERICA

BOOGER
















No comments:

Post a Comment